How do you make your money last longer and not have buyer's remorse? Simple! Invest in yourself!
I'm sure we've all had the moment where you have a free chunk of time in your weekend and you decide to go check out a local shop, then end up buying something you really didn't need, then feel guilty about it the minute you get home. If we stop to think about all the money we spend on STUFF that doesn't really serve us, but rather just continues to cover up any problems we're harboring. Why not invest in ourselves first and negate that whole process before it begins? For most of us, money's always a struggle in your early twenties (unless you're super lucky or have a trust fund or just won the lottery on a whim or something), so why not find some ways that work for you to spend your well-earned cash and simultaneously help you move toward your dream life?
Self-care is something I so strongly believe in. I see so many people (especially young ambitious women, like yourself!) work so hard, then get burnt out - this "burn out" can manifest as actual physical illness, lethargy, resentment… so many things, all of which are undesirable!
To keep yourself in tip-top shape to actively and passionate move toward your dreams, YOU have to come first!
Here are my favorite ways to invest in myself:
1. Grab tea/brunch with someone you love and/or admire - Something I love to do when I'm feeling a little overwhelmed or overworked, or even when I'm feeling like I just need to get back on my own bandwagon of self-care, is to schedule lots of friend time. Some of the best ways to connect with friends (or to make new ones, for that matter) is to meet up in a neutral place and share a beautiful meal or drink together. The conversation can flow in this kind of setting, and you'll gain more quality time with the other person. The key here is to put your cell phone away, or better yet, turn it off entirely! Be present and really feel connected to the moment and to your friend.
2. Massages! - Is there really anything more relaxing than a great massage? It's so necessary to have that time to just be and to relax and restore! With all the stress we experience on a day-to-day basis and all the crap we put our bodies through, regular massages are vital. I usually shoot for one per month! Find a place you love. Check out sites like Groupon or Living Social for discounts on massages and other types of body work to save a pretty penny! You can always ask for gift cards to your favorite massage venue for birthdays and holidays, too!
3. Experiment In The Kitchen - Swing by your local farmer's market or grocery store and pick up some unfamiliar ingredients, then create something delicious! Try Food Gawker or Pinterest for recipe ideas for any unfamiliar produce. Personally, I love to get creative in the kitchen - turn on some music and get into the meal! Plus, you'll learn something new, have fun doing it, and be able to reap the rewards afterward when you indulge in your delicious new creation! If you can include a significant other or friends, music, and a cute apron, you're golden!
4. Buy a New Book - I love treating myself to a new book (usually in the form of an audiobook) that has something to do with either a goal I'm working toward or having trouble getting through, or is just plain inspiring! I have a monthly subscription to Audible, which makes purchasing audiobooks a regular thing and is super affordable. I think I pay $14/month for 1 audiobook per month - which is pretty great, considering some of them can cost up to $30 each! I love it because it's a constant reminder to feed my brain and it keeps me sharp! I also love audiobooks for their workout friendliness - I love taking long walks in the park, and this is a great way to experience an audiobook at the same time that I'm outdoors and exercising - talk about killing 3 birds with one stone!
5. Try a New Fitness Class - I love browsing Groupon or Living Social and checking out some discounted fitness classes in my area! I recently purchased a Groupon for two Aerial Silks classes at a local studio - talk about an exciting challenge! Try out a barre, pole dance, pilates, dance, yoga, or paddleboard yoga class. Go kayaking! Anything that gets you out of your comfort zone, renews & refreshes you, and makes you smile! Shake it up a bit ladies! Some studios even offer a free first class, or a discounted short-term membership - why not!?
6. Sign-up for a Program/Class/Workshop/Coaching Package - When I decided to sign up for Mentor Masterclass, it was definitely a LOT more money than I'd ever spent in my life, but I decided I was worth it. Regardless of whether or not I decided to actually become a life coach, what I would learn throughout the 12 month course would make my life 100000x more incredible! Just last week, I decided to join a fellow Mentor Masterclass maven, Gwen, in her new 8-week program Sexy Soul Detox! After the first week, I knew it was money well spent after crafting my perfect health vision and creating my SMART Goal for the next 8 weeks of our time together! I decided to cut out all refined sugars and exercise at least 1 hour 5 days a week, and to cook at least 17 meals/week for myself. The first week has been a tad bit challenging but I'm feeling SO much better! I was sort of stuck in a health slump as so many other awesome things have been happening in my life (i.e. new puppy, new business, lots of reading, and planning a Yoga Fest in Pittsburgh), and unfortunately my health became less of a priority to me than it has always been in the past. I'm so glad I signed up and invested in myself and my health! I also recently signed up for a coaching package with Lifestyle Design Coach, Bailey Frumen, and I can't express how incredibly powerful our first session last week was together! I feel so clear on what exactly I need to do to grow my business in the next 6 months and I can't wait to dig in for our next 4 (and hopefully more) sessions together! I can't get enough - she's so inspiring and infectious - and I can't wait to invest in one of her Yoga/Surf/Coaching retreats in Bali, Indonesia (yeah, that's a real thing)! Signing yourself up and investing a pretty penny in a coaching package, or a workshop, for that matter, is ALWAYS a fantastic idea. Find a coach that resonates with you! If that's me, set up a FREE 60-minute session with me! I have new spots open in my coaching roster, and would love to see your gorgeous name showing up in my inbox! E-mail me at email@example.com!
I'd love to hear about your favorite ways to invest in yourself and your self-care in the comments below!
Love & Light,